The Titus Shipyard of Fairvale, NB
The Titus Shipyard opened in "Upper Fairvale" in 1865 under the direction of Henry Titus. The first vessel christened from the Fairvale yard was the 664-ton "Rothesay" which was sold into the British trading fleet. This shipyard produced 12 vessels over the next 20 years. Mr. Titus sold his holdings in 1885, probably due to the worldwide depression of the 1870's, the Saint John Fire of 1877, combined with the fact the age of iron and steam had taken over the graceful wooden sailing vessels.