Renforth was originally a recreation area in the 1800s for people who visited from Saint John by horse and buggy to enjoy the beauty of the Kennebecasis River. At that time the area now known as Kennebecasis Park was the site of a militia training camp. Nearby the Saint John YMCA established a river front camp in 1899 named the Chalet. The summer community that grew up around it also became known as the Chalet. That named was changed in 1903 to Renforth, to honour the British rower, James Renforth. Renforth died in 1871 following a race between his English team and a local team.