Contributed by Betty Jane Markham
The Rev. Dr. Walter Robert Hibbard, M.A., D.C.L. (1876-1960) was born in Frelighsburg, Quebec and educated at Bishop’s University (M.A. 1899). He came to Rothesay in 1908 to assume the headmastership of Rothesay Collegiate School, which was then under the jurisdiction of the Diocese of Fredericton. Under his stewardship, R.C.S. underwent a considerable expansion, which included the constructing of the Memorial Chapel and Dining Hall in 1922, the School House in 1930, and an addition to North House. Dr. Hibbard was a scholar of some distinction and is remembered for the intelligent and succinct sermons he delivered in the school chapel. When he retired from R.C.S. in 1938, Dr. Hibbard became rector of Renforth and Coldbrook, where he served until his retirement in January 1947. He was awarded an honorary doctorate by the University of King’s College in 1919 and made a Canon of Christ Church Cathedral in 1943. Dr. Hibbard and his wife Annie Brooks were the parents of three children: Emily (Millie), Muriel, and John (Jack), who died in 1930 while attending the Royal Military College. Dr. Hibbard died in Rothesay.